Saturday, March 15, 2008

An Unusual Day

We are still at Silent Valley Club in Banning, Ca. We are approximately 9 miles from downtown Banning up in the mountains. The elevation here is about 3500 feet and we are in a valley surrounded by mountains all around.
Today started out very early for us as Russ was to fish in the Fishing Derby that was being put on by the park. Everyone who was participating had to be at the pond by 7 am. We had heard the night before that it was to be really cold out so Russ had put most of his gear in the car so that he did not have to waste time retrieving it from the basement of the motor home. At 6:40 am he was out picking up his stuff and heading out with the others that were coming up the road. Mystee and I decided that it was too cold for us to be getting us yet so we just pulled the covers up around our necks.
It is now 8:45 am and I am up, showered and dressed headed over to see what the fishermen are doing. (What’s going on, I’m never up this early). As I am walking down the road I spy a Big Raccoon coming from behind a rig across the way. At about that time he spots me and we eyeball each other all the way down to the gate of the fishing pond. There are a number of guys who are fishing close to the gate and they see the raccoon and me eyeing each other. They just laugh at us and I go to find Russ and the raccoon goes towards the Ranger Station. I spot Russ on the other side of the pond and walk over to see how he is doing. NO FISH!!! I guess he is not holding his mouth right or these fish do not know what “hot dogs” are. He continues to fish until about 11:30 am when all of the tagged fish had been caught.
We had gone to Sizzler on Friday and brought home our steaks and baked potatoes, so decided to have them for our lunch. We ate and then decided to go over and play BINGO after checking out the little store. We played 10 games and I was fortunate to win one for $12. It was fun and we really enjoyed the few others that were there to play also. For blackout I only needed one number. Oh well, next time.
We went to the Club restaurant for dinner as they were celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with Corned Beef and Cabbage. When we walked over there it was very cold out and the wind was blowing hard. We were there for about an hour and were discussing whether to come back and listen to the music that was going to be provided. The decision was made for us as we walked home and heard a big roar of thunder. We had not been in the house more than 15 minutes when we began hearing something hitting the roof and side. We looked out and it was hailing. This lasted about 15 minutes and then it was quite. About 20 minutes later it started again and this time there was snow also. When I went to bed about 10:30 pm there was an inch and a half of snow on the picnic table. Will let you know how much snow is out here tomorrow.

No comments: